Saturday, November 3, 2012

Menu for November 5th

One of the biggest chores I have is menu writing. I'm a bit lazy at it, and then resent the fact that we eat out so much. I'm trying to get better at it. I love looking for recipes online, but can never find a menu/shopping list that covers three meals a day (I have found a few that have 7 dinners, but that leaves me with 14 more meals to plan!) So... I thought I would share what I have planned for next week along with the shopping list that goes with it.




Here are the guidelines I try to use:

• Every breakfast has two servings of fruits/vegetables and at least 1 protein

• I include a healthy snack for every weekday

• Lunches are "packable" for the kidos in school

• I have a "Harvest of the Week" produce item that I try to serve once a day (in the hopes that eventually my kids will break down and try it. Also, by "in season" I literally mean something that Safeway has on sale for less than $1.00 per pound - my Harvest of the Week item is highlighted in green on the menu!)

• The first page is the menu, the second page is the shopping list (It looks scary, but you probably have a lot of the ingredients already) If the recipe calls for a specific amount I list is first. Some items are going to vary by how many people you are shopping for (for instance I have a family of 6 - mostly little kids, if I need to buy grapes to serve in two lunches I only need 1 large bag of grapes - you might need less or you might have three teenage boys who are also linebackers, in which case you might need a whole case of grapes!!!) I list the amount I'm buying for my family after the item on my list - so you know to adjust for your family!


Here's my menu for this week (My Harvest of the Week item is: Sweet Potatoes)

November 5 Sweet Potatoes

No comments: