Thursday, December 27, 2012

Omlet Success!

Our Monday morning breakfast was omlets with fresh spinach. (Actually we didn't have them on Monday, since we had a special Christmas Eve breakfast that day.....) And, I'm very excited that they actually turned out like omlets instead of really big pieces of scrambled eggs, which is how my omlets usually turn out.

The trick for me is to treat the omlet like a really big pancake when I try to flip it over (it's a bit like trying to cook a crepe - if that helps at all :)

I'm counting this one as a success as two of my four children liked them, and three of my four children tried them with the spinach filling!!

 First, I sauteed a little bit of onion and shredded carrot in a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil and added some salt and pepper. Then I added some fresh baby spinach and let it wilt down a bit.

 For each omlet I scrambled three eggs and cooked them in the non-stick skillet. Once they were set on the bottom, I flipped them over like a pancake or crepe to cook the other side (I know some people just cook the one side - but I have a pathalogical fear of eating uncooked eggs, so I cook mine on both sides!)

I added shredded cheddar cheese to the filling and foldeded the omlet over on itself to let everything melt together for a minute or two.

Since my kidlets are still little (and everyone was trying it for the first time) I cut each omlet in half and served with pears and mandarin oranges - fruits I know everyone likes.

Sorry, I didn't get the chocolate milk in the picture, but you get the idea!!

Here's another link to this week's menu if you'd like the recipes:


No comments: