Thursday, December 13, 2012

Persimmons

I have to be honest with you, persimmons have always been a little intimidating to me! I guess I just never grew up eating them with the standard fruits in my house (apples, oranges & bananas). Persimmons always looked pretty, but I've just never been sure exactly how to eat them!

But, they are in season this month, and I am really trying to get my kids to try new fruits and veggies, so I'm up for trying something new next week! (And, also, we had a great persimmon salad at work a few days ago, and they tasted great!)

So, there are two kinds of persimmons, Fuya (round and firm - great for eating as is) and Haychiya (acorn shaped and really soft when ripe these are best for baking). They are both super healthy for you. They have lots of fiber, Vitamin C and Vitamin A and are really low in calories.

Next week's menu has persimmons as an ingredient in at least one dish per day, I tried to mix it up a bit. Whenever I'm trying something really new, I usually end up trying it in a bread or muffin recipe (these are easiest to get past my kidos) so I have several persimmon recipes that involve baking. Since many of them involve making persimon pulp, I thought I would add a link to a website with instructions on how to make persimmon pulp:


And for those of you who want to follow along with next week's menu, here is a link to a pdf. The first page is the men (click on any item with a square around it and it will open up the recipe) The second page is the shopping list (it's long, but you probably already have a lot of the ingredients!)


No comments: