Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Secret of Motherhood

The great secret to motherhood is....that we are all just making it up as we go along.


We want to know exactly what to do in every situation. We especially want our children and spouse to think we know what we are doing. But the truth is, all of us are just doing the best we can moment to moment.

Some of us pull it off better than others. My first three children were born within about a three-and-a-half-year time span. I soon realized that while some people could make this look easy, even after several children I was still an Amateur Mom. Things that should go smoothly never did. Mistakes I should have seen coming, still snuck up on me - and messes that were impossible to clean up were a daily occurrence.

One of my only saving graces as a mother is that no matter how insanely frustrating, or obviously overwhelming my day-to-day mother moments are; deep down in the nether-reaches of my soul, I have never lost my keen sense of the ridiculous. And, no matter how badly, I want to scream, or sell my children to pirates for magic beans; I also know that eventually, whatever the situation is, it will make a great phone call to my own mother. And we will laugh (eventually).

Much has been written about how important motherhood is, and how profound and soul-rendering it is. Much has also been written about how much is at stake when we take on the responsibility of caring for and raising precious little human beings. My point is that in addition to these very valid aspects of motherhood; motherhood can also be...fun (well, funny at least).

My journey started the moment I realized that I had been a much better mother, before I actually had children. I had a lot of parenting know-how. It was simple really. If you were kind, firm, and consistent one could solve any parenting dilemma. If only that lady at the grocery store with the screaming two-year-old had been kind, firm and consistent, her child would be sitting contentedly in the cart! If only that poor mother in the back of the congregation at church had been a little more prepared, her children would be sitting with rapt attention instead of crawling all over the floor. (Are you sensing a little self-righteousness - don't worry, God has a sense of humor!!) That's right, now I'm that lady!!! And while it's not always fun in the moment, these things pass. And mothering is a lot more complicated than just being kind, firm and consistent.

But, it can be fun. There are the moments that my children say the most hilarious things! There are those looks between my husband and me, when we hear them using phrases our parents used (not that they learned them from us, or anything!) And not to forget the rare moments when they think we're not looking and actually do something kind for each other.

And there are a lot of situations that are just so ridiculous they're funny! And chronicling them here, helps me to remember to find the humor, and the joy in the day to dayness that is motherhood.

Here are some links to some of my previous experiences (in case you'd like a good laugh at my expense).





I also look forward to sharing the hilarity that will most certainly continue to happen (we're expecting our fifth child in February - and I am looking forward to the blessing of being able to start all over again with a new little human being, who I am sure, will bring even more to the mix!)
And I would love to hear from you, the fabulous stories that come with having children. I'm hoping that I'm not the only Amateur Mom out there!

No comments: