Thursday, January 3, 2013

Of Shower Curtains and Boys

First of all, let me just say that I really do watch my children......really I do.
Last night, while waiting for my eight-year-old to fall asleep, my three-year-old was running around. He had just gotten out of the bath a few minutes before and was running around waiting for his turn to go to bed (they share a room and they cannot go to bed at the same time, or they will keep each other up FOREVER).
I was finishing something up on the computer when I heard my three-year-old coughing. As I got up to see what was going on, he met me half-way in the kitchen and threw up all over my shoes!! This is not an uncommon thing in my house......it happens every now and then, but this was a bit out of the blue. He hadn't been sick, it had been a while since dinner. For some reason I kept asking him if he had put anything in his mouth. Nope, he was sure he hadn't. He said his tummy hurt, but that seemed obvious. 
Once he was done throwing up, I took him into the bathroom to give him yet anther bath. As I pulled back the shower curtain, I realized that the liner was torn.......and missing a piece. (It's blue, and super-thin, and I suppose looks a bit like a giant fruit roll-up.....sort of??)
"Jay...........did you put the shower curtain in your mouth?"
"NO! I'm not talking about it!"
"Jay...mommy needs to know what goes into your mouth or your belly...... did you put a piece of the shower curtain liner in your mouth???"
"NO, Nope, no."
"Okay.......let's get you washed up"
A few minutes later my twelve-year-old comes up to me and says "Jay just told me the wierdest thing....he says he ate the shower curtain"

Seriously...........he ate the shower curtain liner!!! I have absolutely no response to this.....are shower curtains poisionous? They can't possibly be good for you.......yeah....try searching on the internet for whether shower curtain liners are poisonious if injested...Okay...so they are made out of some very icky stuff. Umm...try calling your husband at work to tell him your son ate a SHOWER CURTAIN LINER!!!!!!! Should I take him to the emergency room ('cause I'd just LOVE to be that mom that comes in and has to explain to the ER staff that I think my kid might have eaten a shower curtain!) Wow... no the house is waaay too messy for a visit from CPS. Let's just call his doctor at home and see what he says.

Bottom line: He's fine.....I think he may have tried to eat a piece of the plastic, but I don't think it went down. (As icky as it seems it wasn't in any of the throw-up) I'm hoping he just gagged on it and that's what caused the vomiting!

New Rule: NO EATING SHOWER CURTAINS!

And we now own a very thick, non-tearing, NON-EDIBLE shower liner!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I probably shouldn't laugh, but I did any ways! LOL I love your kids!

Heather Oakman said...

Yeah, it was funny, once I got over being utterly bewildered!!