Thursday, January 31, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

So this is from Tuesday's Dinner. I made the shepherd's pie and salad. We skipped the apple crisp. Even though it had a full serving of fruit and the oatmeal, I had one kido making cookies for a friends birthday (and I knew we would end up a percentage of those!) and I had to bribe another kidlet with icecream for doing homework (I know...I know....but the homework got done). And when I bribe one kid with icecream the deal is everybody gets some. Which ends up creating quite the cheering section for the one being bribed!

The only change I made to this recipe, was that I couldn't find my cheddar cheese to put on the top, so I used american instead. The cheddar would have looked prettier, but alas, I didn't find it in the back of the refrigerator until the next day. I did have to use a larger pan, than what the receipe called for, I baked mine in a 7x10 pan instead of the 8x8 in the recipe. And, I do think that it needed salt and pepper in both the potatoes and the meat mixture. Of course, that's just personal taste!!!

The kids gave it mixed reviews. I had two who liked it, one who didn't and one who refused to try it on principal. He decided that anything with "pie" in the name should never, never have meat or vegetables in it. So we may have to re-name this one a casserole next time!

The recipe is in the link to the menu on the menu page, or you can scroll down to the earlier post and find it there as well!!

1 comment:

Corinne - Copyright 2013 PontiusFamilyUpdates All Rights Reserved said...

Looks like a great recipe and I have to laugh because yes, I will need to call it Shepherd's Casserole to avoid some anger as well!